Oregano Oil Product Description
Extracted from the fragrant leaves of the oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, Oregano essential oil has made its way into cookbooks, cleaning cabinets, and supplement capsules. Oregano oil is one of the most versatile and powerful essential oils. Due to its high concentration of carvacol and thymol, two phenol chemicals that possess cleansing properties, Oregano is commonly used as a household cleansing agent. Oregano oil can be taken internally to help support a healthy immune system and healthy digestion and respiratory function.*
Oregano oil is also an excellent source of antioxidants.* Other benefits of Oregano oil can be found when preparing and eating culinary dishes. Oregano’s herbaceous flavoring can be added to appetizers, entrees, and sauces to enhance an array of savory meals. Because of Oregano oil’s high phenol content, caution should be taken when diffusing or inhaling—only one to two drops are needed. When applied topically, Oregano oil should be diluted with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Each batch of doTERRA essential oils is thoroughly and carefully tested through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade®protocol. This protocol is composed of a variety of strict, scientific tests that assess the purity of doTERRA essential oils. If a batch of essential oils is tested and found pure, then it is packaged and released so that individuals and families everywhere can experience the powerful impact of pure and effective essential oils.
Oregano Oil Uses and Benefits
- Time to clean? For a quick and easy household cleaner, put 10 drops of Oregano essential oil into a 16-ounce spray bottle with water. Due to Oregano’s chemical makeup, Oregano oil is a powerful cleansing and purifying agent. This simple spray is great for surfaces and countertops.
- Support your body in the way it needs, when it needs it. Oregano oil is used to support a healthy immune system* To maintain healthy immune function, dilute one drop of Oregano oil in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.* One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function.* Oregano can be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity.* You can also put two drops of Oregano essential oil in a veggie capsule to help support immune function.
- Enhance your meals by adding some Roasted Marinara Sauce infused with Oregano and Basil oils. You will be amazed at how something so delicious can be so easy to make. This simple and useful essential oil recipe does not include added sugars and is a delicious way to incorporate the many health benefits of tomatoes into your everyday food selections. This delicious sauce pairs well with pasta, pizza, breadsticks, and much more.
- Oregano essential oil is a rich source of antioxidants.* Antioxidants are essential to help protect the body from the oxidation of molecules. When molecules oxidize, they can create free-radicals that can lead to damaged cells. To help support your body with antioxidants and promote a healthy response to oxidation and free-radicals, take Oregano oil internally by diluting a drop in water and drinking or putting two drops into a veggie capsule and ingesting.*
- Combining the piquant flavors of Oregano essential oil with Italian seasonings, this Italian Oil Bread Dip will have you craving more. This essential oil recipe is simply delicious and can be used as a dip for your favorite Italian breads. If you are putting together a special dinner for two, needing an appetizer for a party, or searching for an excellent side dish for a family gathering, this is an ideal choice.
- Have you ever heard the phrase “we’re better off together?” In Oregano and Peppermint oil’s case, it’s true! In a recent study, a group of Brazilian researchers reported that, at least in the cases they were looking at, Oregano and Peppermint oil worked better when used together. When two different substances like Oregano and Peppermint oil work to create a combined effect that is greater than the effects of the individual substance on their own, the result is called synergism. When using Oregano essential oil, use it alongside Peppermint oil for a more powerful result. To find out more about the synergism of other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
- Though Oregano essential oil is ideal for Italian dishes, it also makes a wonderful addition to cuisines from around the world. This Costa Rican Black Bean Soup with Oregano and Thyme essential oils is superb and combines some of the best spices and ingredients to create a delicious flavor that is sure to please. For a unique, cultural dish you can share with those around you, try this essential oil recipe.
The oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, is a bushy perennial that is part of the Lamiaceae family. The leaves of the plant are fragrant and are characterized by their rounded to ovate shape. This plant also produces tiny, pinkish-purple or white flowers. The oregano plant grows best in dry to medium moisture and well-drained soils. It thrives in full sun. doTERRA Oregano essential oil is extracted from the leaves of this plant.
Chemistry of Oregano Oil
Main Chemical Components: Carvacrol, thymol , para-cymene, γ-terpinene
The main chemical component of Oregano essential oil is carvacrol. Carvacrol has a monoterpene backbone and is part of the phenols functional group. Carvacrol is a chemical that contains warming properties. Carvacrol, along with thymol, another main chemical constituent in Oregano oil, possess cleansing and antioxidant properties.* The cleansing properties of these two chemicals make Oregano a great essential oil for cleaning. The antioxidant properties contribute heavily to the rich source of antioxidants provided from Oregano essential oil.* To learn more about the chemical components of Oregano oil or other chemical constituents found in essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Oregano oil
Oregano oil blends well with Peppermint, Lavender, Basil, Rosemary, Bergamot, Cypress, Cedarwood, and Melaleuca (Tea Tree)essential oils for diffusion.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.