Hawaiian Sandalwood Oil Product Description
After a long process of stripping, chipping, filtering, and distilling Hawaiian Sandalwood heartwood, Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil is produced and used for its wide variety of uses and benefits. Its main chemical component, santalol, gives Hawaiian Sandalwood oil grounding and uplifting properties. This oil is commonly used for its aromatic benefits due its ability to enhance mood, lessen tension, and promote well-being. The scent of Hawaiian Sandalwood is rich, woody, and honey-like. With its pleasurable aroma and mood-benefiting qualities, Hawaiian Sandalwood makes a great oil for massages and aromatherapy. Hawaiian Sandalwood oil is also renowned for its skin benefits and is frequently used in skin care products. This oil promotes healthy-looking and smooth skin and reduces the appearance of skin imperfections. When purchasing essential oils, it is important to note that the purity of an essential oil is the power behind an essential oil. Many essential oils that are available for purchase today contain filler substances or harmful contaminants, making the essential oils weak and less effective in fulfilling individual needs. But when an essential oil is pure, it is more effective and is able to provide healthful and stronger results. Purity is a key element of a quality essential oil.
In order to ensure quality and purity, doTERRA places each batch of essential oils through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. This protocol contains a series of strict tests that assess the quality and purity of the essential oils. If the oils are found pure, they are then sold to individuals and families around the world so that they can fully profit from the unique and natural benefits of pure essential oils.
Hawaiian Sandalwood Oil Uses and Benefits
Experience the benefits and uses of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil by trying the following essential oil tips and DIYs.
- Hawaiian Sandalwood is well-known for its skin benefiting properties and is often used in skin care products and routines. Add a little Hawaiian Sandalwood to your skin care routine to promote smooth and healthy-looking skin and to help reduce the appearance of occasional skin imperfections. Just apply one or two drops to the desired areas of your skin and gently rub the oil in. To minimize any skin sensitivity, dilute Hawaiian Sandalwood oil with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Incorporate Hawaiian Sandalwood oil into your yoga or meditation routines. Hawaiian Sandalwood oil is composed of natural chemicals that help ground emotions, and it is frequently used in meditation for its grounding and uplifting properties. To improve your meditation or yoga experiences, use Hawaiian Sandalwood oil topically or aromatically and encircle yourself with the grounding, uplifting, and mood-enhancing properties of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil.
- Soak those tense feelings away and enjoy a nice hot bath with Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil. This bath is the perfect solution for the end of a tiresome day. Simply fill the bath with your desired temperature of water and add one to two drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil. This combination will help promote relaxation and lessen tension.
- Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil is rich with beneficial properties for the skin and can be applied simply and quickly. For a radiant overnight skin makeover, add one to two drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to your favorite moisturizer or night cream and apply it to the desired areas of your skin. This fast, nightly application will leave your skin looking healthy, smooth, and glowing for the next day.
- Lather, rinse, and repeat with Hawaiian Sandalwood oil and enhance the look of your hair. Add Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to the shampoo of your choosing and enjoy the fresh and healthy look it brings to your hair.
- Receive a supreme spa experience without taking a step outside of your home. Start by filling a large bowl with steaming water, then apply one to two drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to your face. Place your face above the bowl of steaming water and drape a towel over the back of your head and across the bowl, creating a tent-like shape. This experience will help your skin feel nourished and rejuvenated.
- Give your hair a vibrant glow. Apply one to two drops to Hawaiian Sandalwood to your wet hair once you get out of the shower. This will help restore moisture to your hair and will give it a silky shine.
The Chinese used the fragrant heartwood of Hawaiian Sandalwood for incense, medicinal purposes, carved objects, and architectural projects.1
The Hawaiian Sandalwood, Santalum paniculatum, can either be a shrub or a tree. In maturity, this plant can reach from 6 to 50 feet in height depending on the form it takes. In tree form, the canopy of the tree is 10 to over 30 feet wide. The diameter of the canopy is approximately half of the tree’s height. The leaves of the Hawaiian Sandalwood plant are green and glossy on their upper surface and are often pale and various colored on their lower surface. This plant also produces flowers that are a mix of green, brown, orange, or salmon colors. These flowers give off a sweet aroma. The heartwood of the Hawaiian Sandalwood can also be very fragrant. doTERRA Hawaiian Sandalwood is extracted from the wood of the plant.
Chemistry of Hawaiian Sandalwood Oil
Main Chemical Components: α-santalol, ß-santalol, lanceol
Hawaiian Sandalwood is rich with the chemical component santalol, which is part of the alcohols functional group and has a sesquiterpene backbone. It contains both α-santalol and ß-santalol. This ever-present chemical constituent contributes greatly to Hawaiian Sandalwood oil’s grounding effect on emotions. To learn more about santalol or other chemical constituents found in essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Hawaiian Sandalwood Oil
Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil blends well with Basil, Frankincense, Lavender, Rosemary, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, and Bergamot essential oils.
Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil is sourced in Hawaii. To obtain the oil from the actual wood, the outer layers of the wood must be stripped to get to the heartwood. The heartwood is then chipped into tiny pieces of wood and poured into a distiller that holds 700 pounds of sandalwood chips. The finely chopped sandalwood pieces then undergo a 36-hour steam distillation process. This process requires high pressure and high heat. In total, the fuel, energy, and time that go into making this valuable essential oil are extensive.