Frankincense Oil Product Description
Known as the king of essential oils, Frankincense has a variety of notable uses and benefits. This powerful essential oil is revered for its ability to beautify and rejuvenate skin when applied topically, and to promote cellular health and immunity and produce a healthy inflammatory response when taken internally,* among other benefits. With all of its many uses, there is no question as to why Frankincense was highly esteemed by ancient civilizations and used for the most sacred of practices. For some religions, Frankincense is correlated with one of the most prized possessions of ancient biblical times, as it was considered valuable enough to be given as a gift to Christ after his birth. Frankincense was also used during religious ceremonies for salves for soothing skin and perfume. The perfume or aroma that Frankincense emits promotes feelings of satisfaction, peace, relaxation, and overall wellness, which explains its unique value in ancient times. Just as in its treasured past, Frankincense oil is highly valued in the doTERRA community and continues to be one of the most popular essential oils.
doTERRA’s mission is to provide high-quality essential oils that are pure and free of harmful contaminants. With doTERRA’s strict method of essential oil testing and CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® quality protocol, you can walk away confident knowing that the oils you purchase from doTERRA are potent and pure, bringing you maximum health benefits.
Frankincense Oil Uses and Benefits
- Add Frankincense’s incredible aroma to any room in your house by making this DIY Room Spray with Frankincense oil. Start by getting an empty glass spray bottle and putting in 15 drops of Frankincense, 15 drops of Grapefruit, and 30 drops of Douglas Fir. Top off the rest of the bottle with water. You now have the most amazing room spray! Just spritz this spray on carpet, furniture, or in the air of any room you desire. When using this homemade spray, you will be able to bask in the rich fragrance of doTERRA Frankincense essential oil, and experience its relaxing and peaceful benefits.
- One of Frankincense’s most powerful benefits is its ability to promote health, specifically cellular function.* Try taking Frankincense oil internally by adding one to two drops in a Veggie capsule. This natural supplement will help support healthy cellular function.* In fact, doTERRA has found Frankincense to be so beneficial in supporting cellular function that doTERRA uses it in their highest selling supplements—the doTERRA Lifelong Vitality Pack®. Try this DIY supplement and experience the cellular benefits you may be in need of.*
- Are your hands experiencing dryness from the winter air? Do you want to improve the look of your scaly hands? Frankincense can help! Whenever your hands are feeling or looking unmoisturized or marred by harsh weather, add a couple drops of Frankincense oil to the moisturizer of your choice to help hydrate and rejuvenate the skin. The scent of Frankincense essential oil combined with your moisturizer will add a warm, spicy, and clean scent to your skin. You’ll want to take this lotion with you wherever you go!
- Feeling stressed? It just so happens that Frankincense essential oil has a solution for that. The chemical components of Frankincense result in an extremely powerful aroma that can help to dispel negative feelings—like stress. If you are feeling like the pressures of life are weighing down your mood, apply Frankincense to the bottom of your feet. The soothing sensation and aroma will promote feelings of relaxation and a balanced mood. Check out doTERRA's Make Over Your Mood blogpost.
- With so many benefits and uses, Frankincense essential oil has rightfully earned its title as the “king” of all essential oils. It’s beautifying, aromatic, and health-promoting* properties are extremely powerful and can easily improve an everyday lifestyle. For anyone seeking a helpful essential oil tip, always remember, if in doubt, use Frankincense.
One Boswellia sacra tree can produce a couple of pounds of resin each year.1 If Boswellia sacra trees are properly cared for, the tree can produce resin for hundreds of years.
Frankincense oil is derived from the Boswellia sacra tree and trees of a similar species. The Boswellia sacra is characterized by its thin and peeling bark, tangled branches, and clustered leaves at the end of the branches. The trunks of these trees often have more than one stem; however, some have only one trunk. These trees can grow up to 8 meters and are commonly found growing on rocky slopes and southern coastal mountains. The Boswellia sacra is native to Ethiopia, northern Somalia, south-western Oman, and southern Yemen.2
Frankincense oil is produced from the resin of the Boswellia sacra tree. The resin of a tree is a sap-like substance with a high viscosity. For centuries, the resin of the tree has been obtained by slashing or making an incision into the tree, which then emits large amounts of resin. After the resin secretes from the tree, it is then scraped off or collected as it drips onto the ground. When doTERRA obtains the resin from trees, the trees are carefully scored or “bled.” From there, the resin is delicately distilled and essential oils are extracted.3
Chemistry of Frankincense Oil
Main Chemical Components: α-pinene, limonene, α-thujene
Frankincense oil contains a complex mixture of monoterpenes such as alpha-pinene, Limonene, alpha-Thujene, and beta-Pinene. This intricate mixture of components works together to make an oil with many uses and benefits. The unique chemical constituents contribute to Frankincense essential oil’s renewing effects when applied topically and ability to support diverse cells in the body when taken internally.* The monoterpenes also contribute to the aromatic benefits of Frankincense oil, including its ability to promote relaxation and a sense of focus. To learn more about the chemical components found in Frankincense or other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil blends well with citrus oils like Lime, Lemon, and Wild Orange, and other oils such as Cypress, Lavender, Geranium, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, and Clary Sage for diffusion.