Bergamot Oil Product Description
From the coast of Reggio di Calabria in Italy, Bergamot is one of the most unique citrus oils. For years, Italians have used Bergamot for many purposes—to rejuvenate the skin, reduce feelings of stress, and more. There are many unique attributes of Bergamot that set it apart from other citrus oils, including the exclusivity of where it is grown, the fact that it is a bitter fruit that produces sweet oil, and its ability to create an uplifting and calming environment, just to name a few. Commonly used for soothing skin, in massage, and to purify and uplift, Bergamot essential oil is a versatile go-to favorite at doTERRA.
Though there are many choices for essential oils, purity, quality, and aroma are important when buying oils. doTERRA ensures that each bottle of essential oil, including Bergamot oil, contains high quality, CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® tested, potent oil. When you buy from doTERRA, you know you are getting a high quality product that will allow you to reap all of the possible benefits from the oil. Once you’ve purchased your own bottle of Bergamot, the benefits and uses of Bergamot oil section below will help you learn how to use it.
Bergamot Oil Uses and Benefits
- Like other citrus oils, Bergamot essential oil makes the perfect addition to any glass of water. If you want to give new life to a plain drink of water, consider adding a drop of Bergamot oil along with some cut up pieces of fruit.
- While the aromas of many citrus oils are known to be stimulating or invigorating, Bergamot oil has unique calming capabilities that can help when tension or stress levels are high. One of the best ways to glean the calming benefits of Bergamot essential oil is to diffuse the oil. The next time you feel stress levels or tension getting high, consider diffusing Bergamot oil in the classroom, at work, or at home for a calming effect.
- The calming benefits of Bergamot essential oil’s aroma are not only present during aromatic diffusion, but also during topical application. These calming properties make Bergamot essential oil a popular choice for massage therapy. Not only does the oil promote a calm, serene atmosphere, but it is also purifying for the skin, which is why many massage professionals use Bergamot oil. If you want to use Bergamot oil for massage at home, use a carrier oil or dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil for best results.
- Do you enjoy adding essential oils to your tea? When you have Bergamot oil on hand, you can enjoy a cup of Earl Grey whenever you want. With a pure, citrus and spice flavor, Bergamot oil is the perfect companion to your daily tea break—quickly changing a regular cup of tea to Earl Grey with a few simple drops. Remember, when adding essential oils to food or drink, less is more. Start out with a small drop and work your way up from there. If the oil is particularly strong, dip a toothpick in the oil and add it to your water, tea, or dish. This keeps the oil flavor from being too overwhelming. Watch this video to learn more about using Bergamot oil for tea.
- If you are ready to unwind and refresh your skin after a taxing day, Bergamot oil offers a simple solution for relaxation. At the end of a long day, you can enjoy the calming and skin-purifying benefits of Bergamot oil at the same time by applying it to your skin while showering. While in the shower, apply Bergamot oil to your skin and inhale deeply to experience the calming aroma while enjoying the purifying skin benefits of this versatile oil.
- No matter what mood you are in, Bergamot oil can help promote uplifting, relaxing, and confident feelings—particularly when diffused. When diffusing on its own, use three to four drops of Bergamot oil in the diffuser of your choice. Diffusing this oil can help promote a sense of self confidence when you feel frazzled, or a sense of inner peace when feelings of stress abound. Looking for a good diffuser blend that uses the uplifting aroma of Bergamot? Try three drops of Bergamot and three drops of doTERRA Balance® for a relaxing and energizing diffuser blend that lets you escape a mundane or exasperating day.
- Not only will the calming aromatic benefits of Bergamot essential oil relieve feelings of stress or tension throughout the day, this oil can also help you prepare for a peaceful night of rest. Apply Bergamot oil to your feet before bedtime and enjoy a sense of calm and harmony as you drift off to dreamland—leaving the cares of your day behind.
For more ideas on how to use Bergamot oil, take a look at these helpful blog posts:
Fizzing Bath Bombs
Citrus Air Freshener
Bergamot essential oil comes from the bergamot fruit, grown primarily in Reggio di Calabria, Italy. Bergamot is unique to Reggio di Calabria because it thrives in the fresh sea-air and acidic soil found in this area. This climate allows growers to harvest high quality fruit that will produce pure essential oil. Different from other citrus fruits, bergamot is actually a bitter-tasting fruit that yields a sweet essential oil. Similar to Lemon essential oil, Bergamot is produced through cold pressing, where the Bergamot rind is mechanically squeezed—producing pure essential oil.
Chemistry of Bergamot Oil
Main Chemical Components: Limonene, linalyl acetate
As an oil in the citrus family, Bergamot oil includes the chemical component Limonene, which is commonly known for its uplifting aromatic characteristics. The uplifting nature of Bergamot’s chemical makeup is why it is frequently used in massage therapy, as it holds calming benefits. When diffused, the elevating chemical components can help when stress levels are high.
doTERRA sources Bergamot oil from Reggio di Calabria, Italy, where Italian families have run bergamot orchards for decades. Unfortunately, economic downturn has caused many families to abandon their orchards, leaving family tradition behind. Through the doTERRA Co-Impact Sourcing® Initiative in Italy, families can once again receive fair wages and guaranteed work as they produce high quality bergamot fruit in the orchards of Reggio di Calabria. The doTERRA Co-Impact Sourcing initiative in Italy allows families of Reggio di Calabria to provide for their families, boost the economy, and preserve the family tradition of growing some of the finest bergamot fruit in the world.